Monday, January 31, 2011

February!

Okay so February isn't here until tomorrow. Nevertheless, it's arrival means I've successfully added four new dishes and six ingredients to my list of culinary goodies:

  • Maitake mushrooms
  • Kohlrabi
  • Radishes
  • Celeriac
  • Swiss Chard
  • Rutabaga
All to create dishes such as:

And what have I learned so far, one month into this resolution?

1. I'm terrible at going to the Farmer's Market and focusing on buying just what I need.
2. I can indeed make a meal without using bacon or bacon grease (But why?)
3. A little bit of (soy) cream goes a long way with mushrooms.
4. Braising meat will always yield a super moist end result (I braised boneless pork chops last week. Succulent...and, believe it or not...moist!).

What's February going to bring? I have ideas...perhaps extending the new ingredients beyond the realm of fruits and vegetables?

More to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment